Wednesday, January 9, 2013

An X-Man

Perspective is the difference between a bad or good day.
Is the glass half full or half empty?
A totaled car or a life spared?
A birth defect or a healthy child?
Regrets or blessings?

I can't help but keep thinking about what Curtis said to me yesterday when I told him Hudson had to get a genetics test done. It's made me realize how important your perspective on life really is. It's the little things. The genetics test is a test I never really cared for. But since we have new insurance and since Hudson has a separate one for his cleft business they are requiring him to have it done for their files. To us it doesn't matter "where" his cleft came from. We know he was sent to us from our Heavenly Father and we know He doesn't make mistakes. That's all we needed to know.

Because of our perspective through this journey we have been able to kept a positive and a good attitude. And I'm thankful I'm doing this with a husband who has seen eye to eye with me through it all. We have both never made a big deal it. We've had no regrets. We've never been sad that Hudson was born with a cleft. I've never blamed any of Hudson's or our trials on his cleft. Yes, it's been hard and exhausting at times but this is our lot in life. We know we are doing the best with what we have been given. There is no need for a pity party for ourselves because our baby was born different. This is where I rejoice! This is OUR baby and yes he IS different! And we love it! Even if more obstacles follow! Sometimes I even feel like I'm bragging about his cleft! This is our attitude! Our perspective through this journey has lightened our load. This is why Curtis can reply to me with,

"A mutant! They are going to find out he is an X-Man! He is going to have powers!"

We can joke and make light of a situation that may have an upsetting outcome. We have chosen not to focus on the negatives of raising a cleft affected baby. He is something to be proud of! I'm thankful for a little scar that now replaces a smile I'll never forget. It's that scar that reminds me of how amazing and special our Hudson really is!

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead."
-Marjorie Pay Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment