Thursday, February 16, 2012

Life as we know it...

Love has a new meaning around the Hofmann house. Its name is Hudson. It's also sleepless nights, and twice as many kisses.

It's been one whole month since we welcomed this bundle of joy into our lives! One month!





I can't believe this precious little boy is ONE MONTH OLD today!! Can you just not believe how amazingly adorable he is?! I can't stand it! I just have to stare at his little face, he always amazes me. We made one good lookin' babe. I don't know how else to describe it but it has been both the fastest and longest month of my life! I can't believe it's already been a month but I look back at the day I had him and it feels so long ago!

He now weighs 8 pounds, 8 ounces! He's just a little guy still. He loves his swing, which usually will put him to sleep pretty quickly. And I swear he's been holding his head up since day one! He has also started to "talk" to us a whole lot. And you have to be careful when you hold him cause he'll walk right out of your arms! This kid is going to defy "average"!! He loves his binkys and thinks he's so big cause he can do it all on his own. He's not much of a cuddle bug. That 41 weeks in the womb did it for him. My favorite part of the day is right as he is falling asleep in my arms. He always gets the biggest smiles on his face. And occasionally lets out a laugh. I like to think he is dreaming of Heaven and angels. I can't think of any other reason why these little people would smile at such a young age.

So we were able to meet with his surgeon who is a Cleft and Craniofacial Plastic Surgeon at Barrow Children's Cleft and Craniofacial Center at St. Jo's. We were happy to go with him since clefts is one of his major focuses. He gave us a whole time line for Hudson until he is 18 years old! Which I really liked. They already have everything planned out and what needs to happen next and when and where. The later part of his 18 years just deals with teeth and jaw alignment (braces pretty much) and possible lip and nasal revision. His first surgery will be his lip and nose repair when he is 4 months old. Then when he is 9-12 months old he'll have another surgery to repair his palate. After that it's just making sure he speaks with out any difficulties when he starts to talk. Then possible bone grafting between 5-8 years old to make sure his teeth have enough bone to grow in. And lip and nose revision if needed.

Hudson's cleft is incomplete since it does not cut all the way through his nose, lip, and gums to his palate. He still has a little gum ridge separating his lip and palate. This has been a blessing because feeding has not been stressful on him or us! He also can hold a pacifier on his own, but only a specific type. We use special nipples when he eats because his sucking skills are weak. So all he has to do is bite on the nipple and swallow. I feel bad when he spits up, it usually all comes out his nose!

I met his Orthodontist yesterday. Who I really liked. She is also a part of the Cleft and Craniofacial team. She helps prepare the lip, nose and palate for surgeries. Right now we have started taping one side of his cheek to the other. It will help bring the space of his lip together so when he has his first surgery to repair his lip and nose the tension will not be so great. So the tape will be worn 24/7 for the next 3 months. We go back to visit her in 2 weeks and he will need an impression for a NAM (nasoalveolar molding) which is kind of like a retainer almost. Which will also be worn 24/7. This will be like a support for his palate as he grows in the next 3 months and until his palate repair between 9-12 months.

So much to take in! We have Dr.'s appointments almost every week. I have a feeling I'm going to get very familiar with Phoenix... But I trust he is in good hands. I just do what they tell me. Who knew this is what we would have to go through when we found out I was pregnant! It's not what I ever imagined. It was hard at first finding out that Hudson would be born with a cleft lip and palate but knowing that it's totally repairable and not life threatening is a relief. The realization that this was going to be a different and more difficult road than expected came to me those first 2 weeks we had him home with us. And as hard as it has been at times I don't think I would change anything about this whole experience. I love his little smile! And I know he chose us to be his parents. Heavenly Fathers knows how much we can handle. Even though at times I sure as heck don't feel adequate enough to take care of this special little spirit. Sometimes I think this little guy knows more than I do! He has already taught me so much.

Who wouldn't want to spend all day with this!?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love this little guy, what a joy he has been in just 1 short month.

    ReplyDelete