Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Lucky Number 7


Finley Rex
6.2.26
8lbs 9oz • 21” long


Finley’s homebirth was planned. I switched to midwives at 26 weeks and never looked back! Everything felt right once I finally made the decision and I never questioned it after that. My experience with Aurora Midwives has been amazing. I loved every appointment and how informed I felt on every decision. They made me feel ready and capable of having a homebirth. I love my four other hospital and epidural births but Finley’s birth was extra sweet for so many reasons.


I was 40 weeks and 2 days on June 2nd. Having another June baby didn’t cross my mind since Ramsey and June came early but here I was. I had a midwife appointment that day at 1 and asked to be checked and to get a membrane sweep. I loved my baby belly but I was ready to meet this boy! I left feeling crampy and took it easy once I got home. I dropped Ramsey and June off to swim with Coco near by and came home to watch The Greatest Showman in bed. At 3:45 I left to pick up Nova and her friend from drama camp and felt a couple small contractions around then. Back home I sat on the yoga ball to finish my movie and felt a few more easy contractions until at about 5 I had a stronger one and felt a big jolt inside! It almost felt like baby did a big fast kick. Then I stood up and felt a small gush and knew it had to have been my water breaking!


I sent some texts to my family and one to my friends. All of which I was in the middle of saying I didn’t think it would happen today. My mom started packing right away to make the three hour drive here and Coco was already headed back here with Ramsey and June. I was planning on my sisters and mom being at the birth if the timing worked out for them. 


Curtis was taking his time on the toilet so I finally yelled through the door that my water broke! That got him out! We looked at each other and and said yup, this is happening! I changed my bottoms and then called the midwives at 5:19pm. It’s a team of four midwives so I wasn’t sure who would be here until they answered the phone. It was Dwan, I told her what happened and to be sure she had me use a test swab I got in my birth kit to test the liquid and make sure it was indeed my water that broke, which it was, so she gave me some instructions and then said to call back when I feel I’m ready for them!


Coco got there soon after and planned on staying so Garrett came to pick up her kids. I started to time my contractions and they progressed to painful pretty quickly. Curtis and Coco set up the birth tub area and we held off filling it up. I had to focus on each contraction already and think about what position was helping out more. The contractions were irregular, like 1-5 minutes apart and lasting 30 seconds to 2 minutes long. I ended up on my hands and knees and didn’t really want to move much. It was helpful to have Coco there who took care of some things (like take pictures and videos!) while Curtis was with me. 


My Aunt Shaunna came to drop off dinner cause we were right in the middle of texting when my water broke and she offered to bring by tacos. Since everything happened so fast she ended up staying the whole time! She was helpful with June who was a little nervous about the whole thing but also wanted to be involved. I also had my friend across the street text me and ask if anything was happening yet so I told her my water broke and labor was already happening quick! A week before we joked about her bringing ice while I’m in labor and so I actually did need her to bring ice cause our freezer was broken and I wanted ice water. So she went right away and dropped off ice for us! 


During a particularly intense contraction I remember thinking “this is going really quick!” And I told Curtis he would be here soon! Curtis asked if we should call the midwife back and I said yes! So at 6:10 (only 50 minutes from the first call!) he called Dwan and told her I was ready for her to come! Curtis and Coco started to get the tub filled and I think at about 6:30 I got in. It felt good to be in the warm water and move around freely. Before I got in I gave up on timing contractions. At this point I had no relief, it felt like one constant contraction with strong peaks that would be super intense and then ease up and then repeat. But always there! I was feeling it all in my lower back and I had a hard time finding any relief from them except for having Curtis push my hips together. I remember thinking I knew this would be over quick and that helped me get through!


Dwan got there at 6:35. I was in the tub on my knees and hanging over the side and I didn’t want to move from there! The only thing I could remember to do was focus on my breathing. Everything was happening so quick we had no time for my birth affirmation cards or twinkle lights me and June hung up a couple nights before, I didn’t care who ended up being there or watching haha, things I had planned went out the window. I didn’t know where or what the kids were doing. I was in the thick of it! June would come in and out of the room but she was so unsure of things. She held my hand at one point but I was just focusing so much I couldn’t even acknowledge her. 


The midwife and student midwife set everything up and tried taking my blood pressure and get a read of baby’s heartbeat but I just kept having contraction after contraction and they tried to wait for a break in between. And then I started to feel the need to push with each contraction just before 6:50. I tried my best to breath and let my body do its thing but it was SO hard! The pain was so intense and I was getting scared for each new wave to come. I was afraid to push. It definitely did not feel better to push. Haha But I had no choice, my body was making me do it so I stopped fighting it and actively pushed when I felt the need. The ring of fire didn’t last long before I deliver his head. I finally had some relief! I sat back on my knees at this point and probably two minutes passed before I felt the next contraction and pushed the rest of his little body out! Born at 6:53pm! Just an hour and 53 minutes after my water broke! I thought I would be the one to catch him and I wished I could have been coached into it but I just did not feel able in the moment because I was so focused on the next contraction to push him out! My midwife caught him and placed his warm, slimy body on my chest. He cried and cried and I couldn’t believe I had just done that! 


We hung out in the tub for a bit and he was content on my chest. Curtis was the real MVP for staying in the tub with me pushing on my hips until he was born, he swore he wouldn’t be in there at all! I was a little afraid to deliver the placenta but it wasn’t terrible. When I was ready my midwife wanted me to get up with baby in my arms and I thought there was no way! So I gave him to Curtis so I could get help out! It’s crazy how you can go from the strongest moment in your life to the weakest! My stomach muscles did not want to work. 


I got cleaned up and taken care of by my midwife and then helped in bed where I got baby back on my chest. He was a content little guy. Nova and June had peaked in after I had him while I was still in the tub and June ended up staying through the rest of it! Missy showed up seconds after he was born! And Mom didn’t make it until after the midwives left dang it!


It was such a neat experience to already be home and be taken care of in my own bed! And I all of a sudden wondered how this wasn’t the norm!? It was such a more personal feeling, no where to go, surrounded by my family, and in my quiet and dark room. I absolutely loved it. I didn’t want anyone to leave! I was so happy and proud. June was adorable being involved where ever she could be. She helped Curtis cut the cord and put on gloves to help the student midwife look at the placenta. She was loving it! And she hasn’t stopped since!


The midwives were so efficient I didn’t even noticed how while taking care of me and baby they emptied and cleaned and deflated the tub, cleaned up all their many tools and supplies and started a load of laundry. They were amazing! 


Sleeping in my bed with little Finley on me and no one to bother me the first night was the best! Although I hardly slept from all the adrenaline! I kept replaying the birth over and over in my head. I read a quote that said worrying about childbirth is a lot harder than childbirth itself. Something like that and I thought how true it was! It was hard going into a homebirth with everything out of my control! Haha I worried how it would look, who would be there, what time of day it would be, how fast it would go, yada yada… and then it was here and happening and you just do it! In the end it all happened just as I hoped it would. 


Finley has been here three months now and we all just love him so much! I love watching the kids interact with him. June has been so helpful with him! I was surprised at how normal it felt to care for a baby again, like muscle memory. We all are so excited for his next milestones and to watch him grow! He’s going to be one spoiled little boy!






















No comments:

Post a Comment